Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Classical Music


This week was exhausting, counseling, work dinner, ballet tickets and philharmonic. It is good to be busy, but that might have been too busy. We had already rearranged the philharmonic once, and were stuck with the revision.

When we were first married Ray and I kept Ruby's and Joe's seats at the NY Philharmonic - second row center. The best concert I have ever seen (of all genre's) was a performance of "Appalachian Spring" and at the end of the piece Aaron Copeland stood up from his seat in the wings of the hall and took a bow. The audience went crazy. Not quite a Grateful Dead moment (I did go to a concert of theirs in the Meadowlands)- but a great performance.

I only started going to the New York City ballet a couple of years ago - 2006. I go with a group of 8-12 other women, and it is a lot of fun. I thought that when Joe came home I would treat him to a ballet. I don't know if he would like the dance so much, but he would love the music. The music is always the best of classical pieces -piano pieces are very popular to dance to. For that reason, the two ballets that I have been to since Joe died have been hard. Especially the one on Thursday night. The first dance was to Bachs inventions, the second was to a Bach Baroque piece. Joe loved the Inventions, and played them incessantly. He chose the organ because he believed that Bach sounded so much better on the organ. It is hard to sit in the audience at a ballet weeping.

No comments: