Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

August 2, 2009

My final peace corps conference, a seminar about our close of service. We talk about wrapping up our Peace Corps service and returning to life back in the states. I know, because I already went through a similar conference when I first transferred to Tanzania; but when I did it then I was pretty sure I was going to remain in Africa and the conference felt somewhat irrelevant. The trip up here was uneventful, and our bus even had seatbelts(!) but I’m thankful I’m only making this trip once or twice more before I return home. Met several other volunteers for dinner yesterday.
I spent most of the bus ride, and most of the last few days, steaming about falling attendance in some of my classes. The real kicker was that the same students go to class if a Tanzanian happens to be teaching, and now that we have a practice math teacher from university I have seen students who I thought had transferred months ago. In physics class not more than 10 students arrived any day this week. Once I arrived in Dar I wrote an open letter to the physics students outlining a new policy, and threatening to screw with the test scores of any student who fails to report to every class between now and the end of term.

No comments: