Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

August 8, 2009

We began staying with RPCVs in Dar es Salaam, and I spent the last few days with the head of malaria and TB and USAID. He had good stories from his volunteer days, mostly about collecting all sorts of rare artifacts and smuggling them out of Bolivia. His daughter works for the world wildlife fund on a short term contract.
Yesterday I went to the FEMA club office, and was given a lot of materials.
This morning I wanted to leave Dar es Salaam. But we couldn’t find a taxi early in the morning and we missed the bus by five minutes or so. I called someone who works for the company, and he told me to meet the bus in Temeke; so I chartered a taxi to temeke, but when we got there the bus was gone. Then they wanted to go to the next stop and the taxi driver wanted another thirty thousand schillings; I told him I only had three. We got to the stop and the bus was already gone, so I had to get more money from an ATM; the taxi driver is unhappy with his compensation but what I gave him – 23000 total – is more than fair. Anyway I’m stuck in Dar for another day, and am staying in a hotel with bev and steve.

No comments: