Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bicycling

























Ray and I bought 10 speed Fuji bikes in 1982 in New York. I think they cost $250 a piece at the time,and they were top line. We rode them all over the city for the three years before Joseph was born. In fact, when Ray graduated from medical school our big trip was a 250 mile trip through northern westchester, putnam and conneticut on the bikes. We stayed in the cheapest hotels, and bbqd our dinners. It was alot of fun, but I had sore legs for weeks afterwards - there are some very steep hills in westchester, putnam and conneticut!


When Joe was 12 Christine and Ric told us about the first bike ride across the Tappan Zee bridge. I can't remember why I got to go with them, but I signed Joe and I up. It was a relatively short trip, but very beautiful, across the bridge. And we raised some money for a charitable organization, it was our first long bike trip.

Today is the 5 boro bike tour in NY. After the first trip across the Tappan Zee, Ray took Daniel and Joe on the 40 mile bike tours. For the next five or six years, it was an annual Chow event to go on the tour. It got easier and easier as we got to be better bikers, but still always a great way to see the city.

No comments: