Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2008

November 4, 2008

The elections here are a big deal, maybe even bigger than they are in America. The Africans are excited for Obama, of course, and the people in Kenya were crazy about him; but somehow the other volunteers are even more obsessed with him.
Humphrey is a Ugandan VSO accountant who lives across the street and works in the hospital. Thursday last week my power died and I went to Subiako to eat dinner, not wanting to eat in the dark. Humphrey was there too, buying vouchers so he could keep his businesses in Uganda in line. We stayed at this mgahawa for about three hours and as we drank the subject of the American elections came up. He had woken up at 5:00 in the morning to watch the final debate, and told me that Mccain looked pretty good but he was still excited about Obama. “I’m a big Obama supporter too,” I told Humphrey, “but whoever wins, you’re bound to be disappointed.” I understand American elections affect the entire world and so everybody cares, but i was surprised by the scale of other people's interest.

No comments: