Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010


One of my friends, Dr. Frank Castellano sent me this poem by Englishman W.H. Auden

To James:

Stop all the clocks; cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone.
Silence the pianos and with a muffled drum,
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle, moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message:
He is dead
Put crepe bows round the white necks of public doves
Let the traffic policeman wear black cotten gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song:
I thought that love would last forever:
I was wrong.

3 comments:

ray chow said...

that was posted by Ray Chow

sophie said...

It was read by one of the characters of "3 weddings and a funeral" at the funeral of his friend and it touched my heart.
Very good choice Ray :-)

sophie said...

I love this poem Ray. It touches my heart and my soul.