Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Ray's report to family

Our African Safari 5/2011

After Joseph's death, Donna was resolved to go back to see where he died. For me it was very painful to think about a place where so much pain emanoted. I saw the "rock" in Mbugi as an evil totem. However, I wanted to support Donna and my friend said that she had to go to see where her son had deid. So we set out. We depended on the the help of so many people, that I thought it would be a miracle if it came off at all. As I began to set up the trip, more and more I noticed how many people Joe had affected and who wanted to help and see us. I knew how difficult travel in Africa could be, particularly because we did not speak Kiswahili.

We planned for just the two of us to go because it was a long trip and it would take over two weeks to do. Because of their own lives both Daniel an kyle would find it hard or impossible to do. Plus it had to be the dates we went as the new volunteers would be starting soon. Also the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corp is being celebrate this year, and there are many celebrations around that.

Then right before we left Osama Bin Laden was killed. Since we were going to a country that has a large Muslim population, it was a little worrisome. However, Tanzanians tend to be very non-judgemental and sectarian - tribal and religious problems tend to be minimal.

No comments: