Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

March 2, 2009

Endamarariek – Endamarariek is about an hour drive outside of Karatu, a town two hours away from Arusha in Tanzania’s section of the Rift Valley. I’m currently in Florian Secondary School visiting Kristen, a volunteer who I only met once. Karatu is very much like Eldoret; it has wide, unforested plains interspersed with occasional hills. The ground is all red dirt, which makes good building material; on the trip here I saw numerous brick firing ovens. It is also the town closest to Ngorongoro crater and so attracts a few tourists; we passed through another national park on the way over here, and I saw a baboon run across the road, dodging our car.
The plan is to stay here tomorrow and hike around the surrounding area. Wednesday I’m going back towards Moshi and hope to arrive at Kate Yusi’s site sometime in the afternoon; I’ll hike there again Thursday, then head to Dar es Salaam on Friday and try to get to Zanzibar by Saturday afternoon. Will stay in Zanzibar until maybe next Monday, then I’ll head out to Pemba and stay there for a few days. Eventually I’ll make it back to Zanzibar and then hope to get a night ferry on either Saturday or Sunday. The GRE is Monday afternoon. After I take the test nothing is quite clear but I’ll probably go back towards Moshi for Martha’s murder mystery birthday party the next Saturday and will pass the time in between in Tanga and Lushoto

No comments: