Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

March 7, 2009

Dar es Salaam – left Monduli this morning. I was able to take some short walks around Kate’s site but I didn’t get to do a 10 hour monster hike like I had planned; nevertheless the last few days went well. Kate is very interesting; she is older than the rest of us volunteers but she is also a child of the sixties, who has traveled all around the world. As mentioned her house is on a mountain; civilization recedes a kilometer or so uphill and eventually the land blends into Kilimanjaro’s protected area. The land is rich, with plenty of water, and heavily forested. The Germans introduced some coniferous trees and also (I think) Eucalyptus. Monduli and the surrounding area also gets a lot of precipitation and the environment does not feel Tanzanian. Yesterday Kate didn’t have work, so we hiked together to the market area and went to see the waterfalls, a tourist attraction.
Today I rode back to Dar and am staying in a cheap, crappy guesti. I finished Deception Point by Dan Brown all on the bus ride. It was stupid

No comments: